Saturday, March 12, 2011

My New Crush

Dear Zenyatta:  I know this is hard to accept, but I need to move on with my life.  It's not you, it's me.  We've had so many great memories together, and I'll always cherish them, but I feel that I should tell you - there's someone new. 

I'm sorry.  It just kind of happened.  You wouldn't know her.  She lives in Australia.

I was watching the races from Down Under one night, and there she was, sprinting to the wire like a winged goddess.  I got all flush and felt the butterflies.  She stirred emotions I haven't felt since - well, since the Breeders' Cup Classic.  I know it's terrible, bringing that up.  But it was hard.  It took months to get over you losing by a head after being so far behind. I didn't think I'd ever see another like you.

But this filly, she reminds me of you.  She's undefeated, just like you were for so long.  And you should see the crowds she attracts.  It's just like when you were racing - girls waving pink flags, joyful faces, thousands cheering.  Here, take a look (just watch the first minute or so):



And the way she runs - it's just so effortless.  Watch today's race and see what happens when she hits the 200 meter mark (the 2 sign). 



Did you see that?  All the jockey had to do was whisper, and she was gone.  He barely moved a muscle.  She slowed up before the wire and still had the second fastest time for this course in more than 150 years!  She equaled the world record for most weight carried by a mare.  Who knows how fast she really is?  She's never been all-out.

Her last race was just as remarkable.  I know you're a racing veteran, Zenyatta, but for others who might be reading this, pay close attention to the horse with the cross on his blinkers.  That is Hay List, probably the top male sprinter in Australia.  Again, at about the 2 sign, watch how hard the jockey is working on him to try and keep up with Black Caviar and notice what her jockey is doing.  Virtually nothing!



Maybe you can see now why I'm so smitten.  Besides, you don't have time for me anyway.  You need to focus on being a good mom.  Congratulations, by the way.  I'm happy for you and Bernardini.  I look forward to seeing your foal next February.  What will the name be?  Zentini?  Bernyatta?  Zen Master?  Since you were named for a Police album, I'm kind of partial to Can'tStandLosing, after one of my favorite Police songs.  It's fitting, too, because your one loss out of 20 races stung for so long.

Anyway, I hope this finds you well and that everything goes as planned with your pregnancy.  A healthy foal is all that matters.

Since I have a new crush, I've finally been able to watch your Breeders' Cup Classic again.  It truly was one of the most inspiring efforts I've ever seen.  Even a flashy young thing like Black Caviar can't erase that memory.

All the best, Z. 


4 comments:

  1. Can this Black Caviar handle turns. Left or Right handed? That seems to be a big question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Knight Sky. Enjoy your blog and your comments on our website, the Paulick Report. Sure, that's a question. I hope we get see her try it. But for what she does now, she could be once in a generation or more. Her race post ratings so far have topped Goldikova, Zenyatta, Blame and just about any other recent horse you can name. She hasn't even been tested yet, and she's faced the best male sprinters in Australia. I'm guessing she's headed for races in Europe soon.

    We should figure a way to convince Peter Moody to bring her to the Breeders' Cup.

    Judging by the fans, she is most definitely the Zenyatta of Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott -

    This certainly is an interesting girl. But these long distance love affairs don't usually pan out. So I wouldn't go to Zales just yet.

    I haven't really studied her record and don't know if she's really Group 1 material. But streaks are difficult to maintain over the course of the year. I do believe it helps running on a straightaway as opposed to a turn(s) but the main thing for her will be a clean break from the gate - everytime.
    That's very difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scott,
    I loved your comments. Just like you, I'm a huge Zenyatta fan & mourned her loss at the Breeders Cup Classic race. I can see why you are smittened with Black Caviar. I am too. She's beautiful & so powerful, just like Z. She could be the next Queen of the tracks.


    Beatrice

    ReplyDelete