Monday, August 9, 2010

Greetings from Wyoming

My latest thoughts and photos from the road:

Yellowstone National Park is stunning beyond words, so I'll try to use as few words as possible and stick with my large photos and a few comments and stories.

Yellowstone sits on a volcano.  It could erupt at any time, and when it does erupt, it will spew ash over half of the United States.  Scientists believe it has erupted three times so far and is due for another explosion any century now.  Until then, we get to enjoy its immense beauty.

The ground beneath Yellowstone is literally boiling.  It creates strange geological wonders you won't find anywhere else.  Like this:



This is not snow:


Double, Double, Toil and Trouble.  A boiling sulfur cauldron:


Now that you've been warned that Yellowstone sits on a volcano, do you see anything wrong in this picture?


Apparently, some people don't understand the words DO NOT ENTER.  Ranger Betty told me that every year, Yellowstone transports people to the Salt Lake Burn Center because they do stupid things like this -- walk on ground that could collapse at any minute and burn their legs to cinders.

I encountered other absolutely asinine behavior at Yellowstone.  Early on in my drive through the park, I spotted a bison a few hundred yards away on a plain.  I pulled over to grab a shot with the zoom.  While I was doing this, two other cars pulled over, and the families inside sprinted toward the bison, leaving the doors to their mini-vans wide open.  

When one of the families returned to their car, I said to the guy:

"That wasn't the brightest thing in the world."

"What?"

"You running after that bison with your kids.  Last summer I saw a bison charge a family just like yours (lying).  A couple weeks ago, somebody was eaten by a grizzly bear out here (not lying)."

"Oh, yeah, I heard about that."

The stupidity of tourists is unavoidable here, but thankfully so is nature's grandeur.  Exhibits A, B & C:


At some points in the park, the wildlife comes to you.  In Hayden Valley, the bison seem extremely comfortable with humans:


This bison and elk couldn't have been more than 20 feet away:



I did stop at Old Faithful, but I couldn't wait around for it to spew.  Apparently, Faithful didn't get my itinerary ahead of time, so I was only able to watch it cough:


I haven't forgotten about horses during my journey across America.  I've seen some amazing-looking equines along the way, including a completely white palamino.  And others, in what I would say is definitely horse country:




I left Yellowstone on 212 East, which is considered by many to be the most scenic highway in America.  I won't argue with them.  It is breathtaking:


The road itself is amazing.  It's not for the faint of heart.  It reminded me of a Formula One course on the edge of a cliff.  Check out the road:


When I reached the top of the canyons on 212 East, it was 52 degrees and magnificent (although the photos can't nearly do it justice):


The only words I have left -- it was worth every mile I drove to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment