Thursday, July 1, 2010

Am I Crazy?

After almost two decades as a radio and TV journalist, I have decided to change careers and get into the horse racing business.

Yes, racing is a struggling industry, but that's part of the reason I feel compelled to take this leap -- I want to do whatever I can to help the sport grow again and find new fans.  Besides, my current profession of journalism isn't exactly a growth industry either!

My plan is to move to Louisville next month and enroll in the one-year Equine Business program at the University of Louisville.  When I visited the school, I was impressed with the staff's knowledge and connections.  I believe it'll make for a good transition into the industry.  And Kentucky's certainly the place to be for racing.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to brainstorm ideas that might eventually take off as their own business or be an asset to an existing racing organization.  Some areas I'm thinking about:


  • Racing needs a national governing body.  Every other major sport has one, and until racing unifies, progress will continue to be difficult.  The mish-mash of state initiatives and regulations has stymied racing's potential.
  • The drugs need to go.  Europe races without Lasix.  Why can't we?  Drugs have virtually murdered the sport of cycling, and horse racing is headed in the same direction unless the tolerance level reaches zero.
  • Diversify.  Racing needs new initiatives to attract owners from different ethnic backgrounds.  Racing is popular in Asia, South America and other places, but that is certainly not reflected in the ownership of horses in the United States.
  • Embrace the technology.  Horse racing remains the only legal form of online betting in the US.  That should be a huge advantage, but racing has been slow to capitalize.  Companies like Betfair are making progress, but there's a world of opportunity waiting to be seized.
  • Simplify.  The learning curve for people wanting to understand this game is fairly steep.  Are there ways to make it easier for the novice to learn and enjoy racing?  
  • Think international.  After watching the passion stoked by the US soccer team at the World Cup, I'm convinced racing needs an international event where the horses truly represent their countries, not just their owners. People who never followed soccer in their lives were watching the World Cup this year.  There is no greater passion in sports than pulling for one's country, and such an event could open new doors for racing.

I realize some of this is blatantly obvious stuff, and some of it may be wishful thinking. But I'm hoping to start a dialogue (with myself and others) to generate concrete ideas that can address these issues.  There are people already in the industry who are doing this as well.  You can even enter your idea into a contest at racingfuture.com.

As frustrating as the industry seems at times, all hope is not lost.  Almost every person I introduce to the sport enjoys themselves and wants to come back again.  

There's a future in that. 

I'm trying to make it my future.  Even if that means I'm crazy.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great you are willing to take this huge step, good luck with your venture! Racing needs all the help it can get from people that realize how much potential there is and can see a way to capitalize on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, railrunner! I'll continue to post about this as I take more steps toward a career in racing.

    ReplyDelete