Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm a Cardinal!


I just received my admissions letter from the University of Louisville.

For the next year, I'll be pursuing a Certificate in Equine Administration from the U of L.

It feels a little strange going back to college at age 40, but as I've explained previously on the blog, I'm trying to follow my passion for racing and build a career in the industry.  I believe there are opportunities to help the sport grow again, and I want to be part of that.

For those who might be interested, here's a list of the courses I'll likely be taking this fall:

Equine Management:  An introduction to the nature of the horse, and to those challenges unique to the management of equine enterprises... Emphasis on live-animal management practices that can dramatically affect profit and loss in equine-related enterprises.

Industry Speaker Series:  Prominent individuals from a broad spectrum across the equine industry serve as weekly guest lecturers with student reports and instructor-led in-depth discussions of each speaker's presentation.

Organization and Administration of Equine Operations:  Introduction to the organizational structure and human resources required for enterprises including breeding farms, race tracks and horsemen's organizations.

Equine Economics:  Pretty self-explanatory.

Equine Regulatory Law:  An introduction and review of regulatory law in racing jurisdictions throughout the US.

Equine Financial Management:  Applications of analytical techniques to financial decision making in the equine industry.

If you'd like to read more about the program, click here.

In addition to the coursework, I'll be networking and looking for opportunities to get real-world experience - like say, at the Breeders' Cup, which just happens to be at Churchill Downs this year :)


No comments:

Post a Comment