Friday, July 9, 2010

Best quotations about racing


Here's a collection of some of my favorite quotes about horses and racing.  Enjoy and feel free to add your own!

"A racetrack is a place where windows clean people." -- Danny Thomas

"Fortunately my wife is understanding.  When I come home from the races she never asks any questions, if I tell her I just ate a $380 hot dog." -- Tim Conway

"Horse sense is a good judgment that keeps horses from betting on people." -- WC Fields

"No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse." -- Richard Sasuly

"A real racehorse should have a head like a lady and the behind like a cook." -- Jack Leach

"I could cut through the infield and Ruffian would still beat me." -- Braulio Baeza

"I'm lucky because I have an athlete between my legs." -- Jockey Willie Carson

"The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business." -- John Steinbeck

"Money, horse racing and women, three things the boys just can't figure out." -- Will Rogers

"They must get to the end and go, 'We were just here.  What's the point of that?'" -- Jerry Seinfeld on what race horses must think.

"Why, I expect he is one of the dumbest horses I ever saw.  He don't know the difference between 115 and 135 pounds." -- Trainer Henry McDaniel

"That horse isn't fast enough to run past me." -- Owner Willis Sharpe Kilmer

"Citation will win, because he can catch any horse he can see, and there is nothing wrong with his eyesight." -- Trainer Ben Jones

"I admire the Turf writers, because it must be tough to write about something you know nothing about." -- Jockey Bill Hartack

"His legs are barely long enough to keep his tail off the ground.  He probably takes a hundred more strides than anyone else in the race, but he's harder to pass up than a third martini." -- Sports writer Jim Murray on Northern Dancer.

"He's the kind of horse that if he wants to go left and you want to go right, you go left." -- Forego's groom, Don Moore.

"I've never seen perfection before.  Secretariat's only point of reference is himself." -- Turf writer Charles Hatton.

"Secretariat is everything I am not.  He is young, he has lots of hair, he is fast, he has a large bank account and his entire sex life is before him."  -- Cy Burick

"I would sooner train a good horse than be President of the United States." -- John E. Madden

"People have opinions.  Horses have the facts." -- Trainer D. Wayne Lukas

2 comments:

  1. Good Post!
    Here's another one...
    A Race Horse is probably the only animal that can take several thousand people for a ride at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one, Susan. Horse racing seems to lend itself to wonderful quotes like that. I think it's partially because there are so many colorful characters in the business!

    ReplyDelete